Sunday 7 June 2015

Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Flawless Fluide Product Review

Over the past week I have been trying the Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Flawless Fluide foundation in Vanille.

I wanted to try out this foundation as I already use their primer (below) and have been really impressed with how much current foundation sits and stays in place.



I wanted a foundation that appeared matte as I have quite oily sections of my skin so hate anything that makes your skin look 'dewy' as it makes me feel like I have greasy skin. The lady at John Lewis recommended the Smooth Finish Flawless Fluide. To my surprise, I actually wasn't the lightest shade they had in their range! Normally when I buy a new foundation, I just go straight to the lightest shade and go with that. Not being the lightest shade for once was actually quite nice. 

                     (Sample bottle) 

This foundation is so light weight that it needs to be shaken very well before application or the formula with separate (which isn't pretty!). The colour match to my skin is perfect. I find that sometimes being so pale can make it quite difficult to find  good colour match as products that have too much of a yellow or pink undertone look REALLY yellow or pink on me. 

On application,  I found that when it dried it had a powder finish, which I really liked. It was also really easy to blend and can offer good coverage with build up. Even though I had to build up coverage, on days where I didn't apply so much, my foundation still lasted just as long. 

Before:


After:

I'm really in two minds about the formula. I liked the fact that it was light weight, so it does look 'caked' on when you apply and also that you can build up the layers. This is especially nice now that summer is well and truly here (for the time being) as it means for hotter days I can apply a thinner layer. It also means that when I am having a bad skin day I can build up the coverage. 

However, because the formula was so thin, I found that I needed to apply quite a lot when I as building up. The lady in the shop recommended using a pea sized amount as 'it spreads really far' but I needed more like 2 or 3 pea sized amounts. But when I come to think of it, did I really use that much more than I use of my current foundation? I don't think so. It was just significantly more than was recommended in store, which leads me to think that maybe I need a slightly thicker foundation which offers more foundation from their range?

Back onto the pros…I found that the foundation smoothed into my skin really nicely and I didn't get any spots where the make up clumped or stuck to and it didn't settle into my fine lines. With the foundation I use at the moment, I do find that by the end of the day, the foundation has set into my frown line, but I found that this foundation was far less obvious. 

I did think that fact that I was using it with their own brand primer will have also made a difference, so for blogging science, I also used this with the Benefit poreFESSIONAL primer and the results were pretty much the same. 



As I mentioned above, I think the only downfall to this foundation is the amount I had to use to build up to the coverage that I wanted. 

Price wise, this foundation is £35 for a 30ml bottle. I think that's pretty reasonable given the fact that it really does last well during the day. I don't work in an office, I am out and about visiting clients so I am constantly changing environments from hot to cold, sun to rain, and this foundation lasted well. 

All in all? I love the colour match and the holding power, but I am worried about how much I have to use and if I will go through this bottle too quickly.

I think for me, I need to head back to John Lewis and see if they have something a little thicker.

DLJ
Xoxo







No comments:

Post a Comment