Sunday 10 May 2015

Hooded Eyes


What is a hooded eye?

Well put simply, a hooded eye is when your skin on your brow bone covers the 'moving part' of your eye. For people with hooded eye, such as myself, this means that it can be difficult to see eye shadows if you just put colour onto your lid when you look straight forward. (pictured below)

How does having hooded eye effect your make up application?

As I mentioned above, the main effect of having hooded eye is that you cannot always see the eye shadow you have applied onto your eye lid. The majority of youtubers and instagrammers have very wide open eyes so applying eye shadow is slightly esker I feel because you have a flatter surface.

By having hooded eye, you need to consider where you are applying dark and light colours to give your eyes the effect of being wider and more open. A great video I found on YouTube is by MissMai27 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1QIV8Eq41E) and really shows where you need to apply darker shades further up your eye to create the illusion of a more open eye.

As you can see below, I have added eye shadow to the lid of my eye, but when I look forward, the hooded part of my eye covers everything I have applied. This is my attempt at doing a hooded eye where I actually follow where my real crease is.



However, in a more recent post, I used a darker shade higher than my natural crease to create a false crease so that my eye appears much larger and more open. You can also now see the eye shadow colours when I look forward.



Who else has hooded eyes?

When you start looking at celebrities with hooded eyes, you can see having hooded eyes is actually a lot more common than you might think. Here are some examples of famous celebs with hooded eyes.

Jennifer Lawrence


(http://heiratelier.com/blog/2013/02/17/oscar-nominee-jennifer-lawrence-red-carpet-make-up/)


Blake Lively



(http://eqview.com/2014/12/03/style-file-blake-lively/)

Jennifer Aniston 


(http://www.primped.com.au/makeup/five-days-five-ways-eye-shadow-ideas-for-your-week-ahead)

All of which totally rock their hooded eyes! 

What can I do to make my eye make up better with hooded eye?
  • Use a neutral, matte eye shadow on the crease of your eye to make it appear 'pushed back'
  • Curl your lashes to open your eyes
  • Don't bring highlighter too low on your eye. If you want to apply highlighter, do not apply it on your hood! 
  • Try to use matte eye shadows rather than shimmery shadows 
  • Apply eye liner to the water line instead of the top of the lid (see this video by Stephanie Lange https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkRZBpaudbM)
  • Bring your eye shadow further up to create a fake crease 
DLJ
Xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment