Wednesday 8 April 2015

What's your skin type?

I was reading an article in Hello! Fashion Monthly over the bank holiday weekend and it really got me thinking about my skin type.

dull skin
(http://glow-medspa.com/self-diagnosis/dull-skin/)

Is is no longer enough to use Helena Rubinstein's view that you fall into oily, dry, combination or sensitive skin types. Instead there are a whole new set of categories that can now be used to describe your skin! I have to admit, this was serious new's to me! I have always been really interested in skin care and am totally shocked to see that I was using the 'old' method of skin identification.

So, if like me, you are skill working by the god old fashioned oil, dry, combination or sensitive classifications, then better carry on reading!

woman having a facial treatment from a therapist
(http://lizzysbeautysalonsouthgate.co.uk/facials-eye-treatments/369241)

According the the article by Charlotte Jolly, the Hello! Fashion Monthly (HFM) Beauty Director, there are now SIX completely new ways to describe your skin.

The first of these being Intolerant Skin. Skin in this category might have previously been known as sensitive. Intolerant skin in skin that is 'itchy, prone to redness and sometimes accompanied by tiny red pimples and a tight, tingly sensation' (1). According to HFM a staggering 62% of woman say that have sensitive skin.

Category number two is Dull Skin. Let's face it, it doesn't take much imagination to picture dull skin! I'm sure we have all woken up with skin that lacks glow and luminosity every now and then. I know I do. However, this category doesn't just cover skin that is lacking in life, it also covers skin that is 'mature' shall we say…fine lines, creases and folds all fall under this headline.

Numerio three is Uneven skin. Again I'm sure that at some point or another, we have all fallen into this skin category. Uneven skin is normally blotchy, patchy or maybe even discolouration. HFM state that for 16% of woman, pigmentation is their top skin gripe. I know that this is defiantly something that my mum struggles with. How can you help to reduce it? By looking after your skin in the sun. Make sure to use a face cream or sun cream with UV protection.

Skin type number four is Moody Skin. Which is definitely my skin! HFM define this type of skin as ' a changeable complexion, fluctuating in tone and texture over a 28 day cycle'. I really struggle with acne on my chin / lower jaw, which apparently is a 'symptom' of this type of skin. I find it so difficult to constantly keep on top of my skin and what is best for it.

Number 5 : City Skin. This is definitely something that would not have been considered a skin type back when Helena Rubinstein invented her skin classifications. City Skin is as you might imagine, is effected by all of the dirt and impurities that come with living in a city. And according to HFM, it's not just air pollution that effects our skin, hard water can also lead to clogged pours and irritated! We just can't win!

And finally, skin type number 6....Sluggish Skin. Sluggish Skin is skin that is lacking in bonce, flaky and had bad texture, 'pores appear small, wrinkles are pronounced and skin is prone to sensitivity'. 

So, let's face it, there really isn't any perfect skin type. But at least if we know what skin type we are, we can work with it and not against it when it comes to trying to achieve perfection. As Charlotte Jolly comments in her article, it's all about pinpointing your 'micro skin type', so pin point away my lovelies!

(http://www.stylescoop.co.za/2013/03/06/secret-flawless-hollywood-perfect-skin/)

DLJ
Xoxo

(1) Hello! Fashion Magazine Skinspecial, 02.02.2015

No comments:

Post a Comment